Don’t you just love watching documentaries about destinations? Learning about other countries and their citizens, getting inspired for new travel plans. In this blog I share my favorite travel series. Many of them are about Russia, a country that intrigues me since a long time.
This also connects to my recent article about St. Petersburg.
Ruben Terlou – NL
- Series Langs de oevers van de Yangtze (Along the banks of the Yangtze River, VPRO)
Ruben is originally a doctor and a photographer. He lives for quite some years in China and speaks the language. He has a great feeling for interviews that make you laugh and cry. The featured image of this blog is his. Really an amazing photo, made during Ruben’s first series about the Yangtze River in China. Ruben just made a new series om China, which will be broadcasted on Dutch television from January 14, 2018. So curious!
UPDATE: Ruben’s second series is called Door het hart van China (Through the heart of China) and it’s amazing! Especially the episodes about healthcare and funerals were very special to watch. Thanks Ruben!
Jelle Brandt Corstius – NL
- Series Van Moskou tot Magadan (From Moscow to Magadan)
- Book Van Moskou tot Medan (From Moscow to Medan)
- Series Van Moskou tot Moermansk (From Moscow to Murmansk)
- Series De bergen achter Sotsji (The mountains behind Sotsji)
- Book Rusland voor gevorderden (Russia for the advanced)
- Series Grensland (Border country)
- Book Van Bakoe tot Batoemi (From Bakoe to Batoemi)
Jelle is a Dutch journalist who lived in Russia for many years. He made many series and wrote several books, about Russia but also India and traveling in general. His books make me laugh all the time. His series made me want to go to Russia.
Simon Reeve – GB
- Series Russia with Simon Reeve (BBC)
Simon is a cool, relaxed type of guy. His series about Russia was really nice to watch. I noticed he made a lot more series about many other countries, so I guess we have enough to watch for the next couple of months…
Arnout Hauben – BE
- Series & book De helden van Arnout (The heroes of Arnout, VRT)
In episode 1 about Joseph Abbeel, Arnout travels to Russia. His travel series is based on historic stories. He follows the path of old books written by his Belgian travel heroesfrom the past. By doing so he travels through one or more countries, including South Africa, France, USA, Peru, etc. He walks a lot but also hitch hikes or other forms of transport. I liked all episodes of this series, most noteworthy the one he travelled to and trough Mongolia by horse!
Floortje Dessing – NL
- Series Floortje naar het einde van de wereld (NPO, Floortje to the end of the world), various episodes for example on Pyramiden (Russian mineworkers’ village on Svalbard) and Wrangel (Siberian island)
- Series RTL Travel (RTL), episode Floortje tussen de bruine beren op Kamtsjatka (Floortje between the brown bears at Kamtsjatka)
- Series 3 op Reis (BNNVARA), for example several episodes on Siberia (including Krasnoyarsk, Barnaul, Tura, Bajkonoer)
- Series 3 op Reis (BNNVARA), numerous episodes including the mini series Van de Dam in Amsterdam naar het plein van de Hemelse Vrede in Peking (From Dam Square in Amsterdam to the Square of Heavenly Peace in Bejing, via Moscow)
Floortje Dessing is THE travel hero for a lot of Dutch people. She is very well known, as she made a lot of travel series for Dutch TV. She also wrote a couple of travel books. Not sure how many countries she visited, but it’s really a lot (150+ I think).
Tom Waes – BE
- Series Reizen Waes (Travel Waes, VRT)
Tom loves traveling to unknown, somewhat extreme countries, such as Venezuela, North Korea, Vanuatu, Bangladesh, Georgia, etc. He also went to Pyramiden, a Russian village on Spitsbergen. This guy is always fun to watch. Although not all destinations in his series are suitable for tourism in my opinion.
Jimmy Doherty – GB
- Series Jimmy Doherty’s Escape to the Wild (Channel 4)
Jimmy is originally a farmer and he is Jamie Oliver’s best pal. In Escape to the Wild he visits British couples who live in very remote places around the world. Very cool! Similar to Floortje to the end of the world.
Joanna Lumley – GB
- Series Joanna Lumley’s Trans-Siberian Adventure (ITV)
Joanne is a retired model who made several TV series, also about on India and Japan. Her way of speaking annoys me sometimes (sorry), but I really liked the Trans-Siberia train series! It was also really cool she reshot a photo in the Moscow metro she made decades before as a model.
What a travel heroes, what a job to do! I know how great it looks, but I also know from personal experience how hard it can be to travel for work constantly. As a consequence, I have a lot of respect for these people. And yes, they make such unique trips, it’s really great to watch!
Which travel series did you see? Any recommendations of travel series that I missed in this blog?
In addition, a happy picture of me in Moscow…
Last Updated on 08/26/2020 by Flitter Fever